Marketers have seen their jobs transformed over the past ten years. The transformation is happening again — but faster this time. According to The Economist Intelligence Unit's survey of 478 high-level marketing executives worldwide, sponsored by Marketo, more than 80% say they need to restructure marketing to better support the business. And 29% believe the need for change is urgent. The Rise of the Marketer is an insightful report that can be helpful to marketers as they navigate and rethink their approach to marketing over the next 3 to 5 years.
Six major trends emerging include:
- Marketing is shifting from a cost center to a revenue generator
- Marketing will become the Chief Customer Advocate in an organization
- Marketing is moving from an era of mass marketing and advertising to and era of engagement marketing
- Marketing needs to invest in new digital skills and operational expertise – marketing is shifting from an art form to art & science
- Marketing must leverage technology to succeed in this world of individual engagement at scale
- Key technologies like Internet-of-Things and real-time personalized mobile technologies will shape the future of marketing