Ascend Marketing works when talented, passionate people come together to get a job done. Come help Ascend Marketing work. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for marketing solutions.
As a Database Engineer at Ascend Marketing, your role is to deliver the information your business partners need to grow the business. You will assist business teams in drawing insights from our data. You are someone who wants to see the impact of their work and make a difference every day.
You know what it takes to deliver quality reporting and business intelligence solutions to the organization. You understand the value and benefit of solid data practices and how to translate that into satisfied business partners.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and manage data sources.
- Integrate with APIs.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the data warehouse ecosystem.
- Work closely with stakeholders on the data demand side (analysts).
- Work closely with stakeholders on the data supply side (domain experts on source systems of the data).
- Build self-monitoring, robust, scalable interfaces and data pipelines for 24/7 operations.
- Design and build optimized OLAP and Star Schema data structures.
- Create highly reusable code modules and packages that can be leveraged across the data pipeline.
- Develop and maintain data dictionary for published data sources.
- Develop and improve continuous release and testing processes.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by the database engineer.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other STEM field, or equivalent experience in software engineering
- 2+ years in Data Engineering.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline, computer engineering or computer science.
- Experienced Software Engineer.
- Experience working with relational and columnar data stores for generating Tableau data sources.
- Experience in one or more of the following: Batch Scripting, PowerShell, C#, Ruby.
- Experience with DB Administration of MySQL or SQL Server databases.
- Experience using Redshift or PostrgreSQL.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – for the DataBASE Engineer position:
Below is a list of important knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform in the role of a database engineer:
- Strong SQL skills.
- Strong CS fundamentals and problem solving skills.
- Strong software engineering skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders to define requirements.
- Familiarity working with relational and columnar data stores.
- Passionate about data-driven approaches.
- Enjoy exploring large data sets and get excited about learning new technologies and learning in a collaborative environment.
- Skilled at eliciting requirements from many different teams.
- Ability to identify and resolve performance issues.
- Skilled in extracting, transforming, and loading data.
- Able to translate business requests into database design.
Please note, being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment for this position.
In your cover letter please provide a response to the following questions. Please note submissions submitted without a cover letter, with answers to these questions, will not be considered:
- Are you legally authorized to work in the United States?
- Will you now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B visa status)?
- How many years’ of contiguous experience do you have writing and executing SQL?
- How many years’ of contiguous experience do you have with Microsoft SQL Server?
- How many years’ of contiguous experience do you have with PostgreSQL and/or Redshift?
- Rate your skill level in writing SQL scripts on the following scale: Expert, Intermediate, Beginner, Not Used.
- Rate your skill level in administrating Microsoft SQL Server on the following scale: Expert, Intermediate, Beginner, Not Used.
- Rate your skill level in administrating PostgreSQL on the following scale: Expert, Intermediate, Beginner, Not Used.
- Rate your skill level in administrating Redshift on the following scale: Expert, Intermediate, Beginner, Not Used.
- If offered a position, how soon could you start?
About Ascend Marketing
Ascend Marketing is an award-winning marketing services firm based in Texas with offices in Grapevine and Austin. Ascend is an established expert in the customer engagement arena, providing a range of services including strategy, data management, creative services, multi-channel marketing execution, and business intelligence and analytics.
Ascend helps clients achieve the vision of total customer engagement through complete, end-to-end customer lifecycle marketing solutions.
Founded in 2004, Ascend employees over 50 marketing and technology professionals. Ascend’s clients range from Fortune 100 Companies through well-funded startups. We’re a positive, cooperative, and professional organization. We care for our people and our customers in an enjoyable work environment.
If this role interests you, please apply below. Paste in your resume and cover letter that communicates your interest and highlights your experience in the areas above. Resumes submitted without a cover letter and answers to the questions above will not be considered.